LONDON, Feb 10 (Reuters) – Jose Mourinho has told friends and associates that he will replace Louis van Gaal as Manchester United manager at the end of the season, according to reports in several British newspapers on Wednesday.The Daily Mail, Daily Star, Daily Mirror and Daily Telegraph all quoted an unnamed source close to the 53-year-old Portuguese as saying his installation at Old Trafford was a “done deal”.The former Real Madrid, Inter Milan and Porto coach was sacked by Chelsea in December but said in an interview last week that he would soon be back in management, preferably in England.Van Gaal, who has another year left on his contract after this season, has had to deal with constant speculation about his position after United made a stuttering start to the season.The Dutchman said on Sunday he thought reports of negotiations between United and Mourinho were an invention of the media.
World Cup history lists just eight winners, with Brazil on top with five wins. After a resilient performance against the 2014 winners and good prospects in the remaining Group F games against Sweden and South Korea, Mexico might fancy a chance to add to the list. Solid in defence, speedy on the counter and with proven striker Javier Hernandez up front, Mexico could be a team to watch. Of those eight World Cup champions, Uruguay, Argentina, England, France and Germany all won on home soil. In like manner, the Russians might just be starting to dream of football’s biggest prize. They have a long way to go, too. The titans of Argentina, Brazil, France and Germany could get into high gear in week two of the tournament, but Russians will be thinking, ‘Why not?’ One thing is clear. As teams like Senegal, Serbia and Switzerland have shown, the world football playing field is more level than ever. The FIFA rankings mean nothing, and honour can only be defended on the pitch. That’s how it should be. – Hubert Lawerence watched Brazil win the 1970 World Cup on black and white television. History of winners It’s been a remarkable week in the World Cup. Russia, the host team, are riding high with two big wins from two starts. Germany, the defending champions, lost to an enterprising Mexico, with Brazil and Argentina suffering milder setbacks. There’s been a litany of missed chances and a sending-off that have made results intriguing. Emerging from the turmoil with his reputation intact is Cristiano Ronaldo. As this is written, his Portugal team just secured three more points, and the man known as CR7 has embellished his place among the game’s best-ever with four goals so far. His precise last-minute free kick saved his team against Spain and his winner yesterday sank Morocco. If the World Cup ended at this point, the Real Madrid star would be the tournament MVP. Germany are probably happy that there is a long way to go. The Mexico loss will likely re-route the Germans to an area in the knockout round that will be populated with tough opposition. Yet, German resolve is known to be well-suited to tournament play, and counting the four-time champions out would be foolhardy.
The APNU/AFC coalition has become embroiled in several controversies – manufactured or not – which to a large extent are self-inflicted and could have been avoided if they had their promised “Code of Conduct” in place. When the two parties were in Opposition, they were very strident in their denunciations of the actions of PPP/C Ministers, MPs and officials in the latter’s performance of their duties. They argued quite cogently that what was needed was a “Code of Conduct” with “teeth” so that there would be clear guidelines for the actors and the enforcers to ensure the country’s business was conducted transparently and ethically.The Code of Conduct was promised to be promulgated within their first 100 days of assuming office, which occurred in May 2015: “#16 – A Code of Conduct will be established for Parliamentarians, Ministers and others holding high positions in government public office to abide by, including mechanisms for demitting office if in violation of the Code of Conduct.” Mentioned in July, it was not until September of that year when Minister Raphael Trotman, upon being questioned by reporters said there was a “draft” code but, “We believe it should be opened up for public comment, criticism, critique and to be distilled and refined. Hopefully, coming out of it we get a stronger document.”The “draft” Code of Conduct was finally released the following month and asserted it was underpinned by 10 principles: accountability, dignity, diligence, duty, honour, integrity, loyalty, objectivity, responsibility, and transparency. It was replete with moral exhortations drafted at such a high level of generality that it mocked the notion of a “Code” meant to bring down sanctions if transgressed.For instance: “Public office holders have a duty to uphold the law, including the general law, against discrimination and sexual harassment, and to act with propriety on all occasions in accordance with the public trust and confidence placed in them. Public office holders have a general duty to act in the interest of the nation as a whole and owe a special duty of care to their constituents, and citizens.”In one area where it decided to be specific, the drafters of the Code felt that “gambling” was an action that needed to be curbed and enunciated: “Ministers, MPs and public office holders must not engage in frequent or excessive gambling with persons who have business dealings with the government as well as among colleagues, particularly with subordinates. If on social occasions where gambling (provided that the activity is legal) is considered unsociable, the amount of money involved should not be significant.”Be as it may, the draft was now in the public domain of the website of the Office of the President. However, the Chief Whip of the major Opposition party, the PPP/C, complained they had not received a copy which was quite anomalous since “all MPs” were supposed to be covered. Recommendations were received from the Guyana Human Rights Association (GHRA), the Bar Association and Transparency International of Guyana Inc (TIGI). The latter organisation suggested that a time line of a month be outlined within which ordinary citizens could be facilitated to give their input in a Town Hall setting. When releasing the draft back in November 2015, Minister Trotman had himself suggested such a forum.Even the staunchest supporter of the government would have to conclude that the Code of Conduct is not high on the list of the government’s priorities. It is difficult to understand why there has been such lassitude is transmuting the Draft Code into a final enforceable document. Raphael Trotman was the Minister who released the Draft Code, and in the absence of any other information to the contrary is responsible for the present state of disarray in establishing the final Code of Conduct. President David Granger, as an ex-military man, must understand the need for clarity in guiding the actions of his officials. Action is needed now.
Dear Editor,The Guyana Revenue Authority (GRA) would like to take this opportunity to congratulate Minister of Finance Winston Jordan on his inaugural Budget presentation and looks forward with optimism to the realisation of the Government’s vision for a new and improved tax Agency that promises quality service delivery and efficient revenue collection.Note was made of the plans outlined by the Minister for strengthening of the GRA’s mandate in the near future and more particularly the important role the Authority plays as a revenue earner for the state.In his 2015 budget presentation, on Monday, August 10, Minister Jordan said “The Guyana Revenue Authority (GRA) contributes the bulk of revenues intended for the Consolidated Fund. As a result of declining external inflows to Guyana, due in part to debt relief given under the Highly Indebted Poor Countries (HIPC) Initiative and the Multilateral Debt Relief Initiative (MDRI), the GRA has assumed added importance over the last decade in generating resources to meet Government expenditure programmes. This role will expand, in the medium term, as the Government accelerates its programmes and projects to enable Guyanese to experience the good life,”Unfortunately the GRA noted certain sections of the media taking Minister’s remarks out of context with speculations about retention at the Authority’s top brass, perhaps seeking to besmirch the image of the GRA.The Authority noted that the Minister elaborated on the need to strengthen and enhance the organisational and managerial capacity of the GRA with a focus on reviewing its current operational standards so that they are in line with international best practices; a move that is welcomed by the management of the GRA.Each year the GRA is entrusted with the task of collecting a large portion of the revenue and save for a few shortfalls, it has been adequately prepared to meet the targets set out. The record achievements in revenue collection by the GRA over successive years stand testimony.In anticipation this year, officers of the GRA’s Planning and Analysis Department and the Ministry of Finance were educated on revenue forecasting by the Caribbean Regional Technical Assistance Centre CARTAC).Sincerely,Public Relations UnitGuyana RevenueAuthority
0Shares0000Kenya’s Dismas Indiza following his tee in the third round of the 2016 Barclays Kenya Open at the Karen Country Club on 19th March, 2016.NAIROBI, March 19 – Kenya’s Dismas Indiza finished on six under par as the Barclays Kenya Open entered the penultimate round at the Karen Country Club on Saturday.The Mumias based player started off brilliantly by making an eagle on first and second holes and then birdied the third but then doubled bogeyed the sixth and bogeyed the ninth. The second nine had less action as Indiza bogeyed the 11th hole to finish the day on one under behind leader Sebastian Soderberge of Sweden, who has a strong 13 under.“I started off well on the first three holes but lost shots after. The heat was too much on the course but I hope to play good golf tomorrow,” the leading Kenyan golfer told Capital Sport.Indiza dropped to 17th while overnight leader South African Jacques Blaauw had a bad day to fade fifth in the overall standing on eight under par.Vet Lab’s Brian Njoroge finished on three under par, a massive ten shots behind the leader after collecting pars throughout the first nine and did not drop a shot.The second nine started off when he dropped a shot on par four, 13th hole but finished strong by birding par five-15th and 18th holes to finish off on one under for the day.However, there was some gloss for Englishman Tom Murray who sunk a hole-in-one shot at the Par-three hole 16 (195 yards) but failed to win the KSH 5.2 million Chevrolet Trailblazer vehicle which is up for grab for any player who sinks a hole-in-one on hole number seven.Murray finished on four under par 68 to bring his tournament score to five-under par 211 and sit 16th in the standings.Game one of the fourth round tees off at 07:30am at hole one with the last game teeing off at 11:50am.Ngigi, Njoroge and Indiza tee off at 08:10am, 09:40am and 11:00am respectively.The four-day European Challenge Tour tournament concludes on Sunday with President Uhuru Kenyatta expected to close the competition.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)
0Shares0000Riyad Mahrez’s goals and assists this season have led to 30 points and he was named PFA Player of the Year.LONDON, United Kingdom, May 31 – Premier League winner Riyad Mahrez has informed Leicester of his wish to leave the club as he feels the time has come to take the next step in his career.The Algeria international was heavily linked with a move to Arsenal at the end of last season after playing a starring role in the Foxes’ title triumph. However, Mahrez decided to stay put at the time out of loyalty to the East Midlands outfit, who brought him to England from Le Havre in France’s Ligue 2.The 26-year-old winger failed to reproduce the form that saw him win numerous accolades in 2016/17, his struggles paralleling the team’s as they flirted with relegation at one point which led to Claudio Ranieri being sacked as manager in February.The Gunners have maintained an interest in the African Footballer of the Year, and he is ready to move on after vowing to remain at the King Power Stadium for 2016/17.“Out of the huge admiration and respect I hold for Leicester City Football Club I wanted to be totally honest and transparent with them and have therefore informed the club that I feel now is the time for me to move on,” Mahrez said.“I had a good discussion with the chairman last summer and we agreed at that time that I would stay for another year in order to help the club as best as I could following the transition of winning the title and in the Champions League.“However, I am fiercely ambitious and feel that now is the time to move on to a new experience.“I’ve always enjoyed a good relationship with the chairman and everyone at the club, and I hope I have been able to repay the faith shown to me by my performances and commitment on the pitch during my time here.“I’ve had the four best seasons of my career at Leicester and have loved every moment. I feel immense pride to have been a part of what we have achieved during my time at the club, culminating in becoming Premier League champions.“The relationship I share with the club and our amazing fans is something I will treasure forever and I truly hope they will understand and respect my decision.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)
Jose Mourinho faces a ‘big problem’ because he has lost the faith of his Chelsea players, claims former Blues midfielder Andy Townsend.Chelsea have endured a torrid start to the season, losing half of their 12 games in all competitions and languishing in 16th place in the infant Premier League table.The 52-year-old was charged with misconduct by the FA after comments regarding referees in the wake of their defeat to Southampton at the weekend, just hours after he was given the dreaded ‘vote of confidence’ by the Blues’ board.Mourinho has publicly blasted a group of his senior squad members, threatening to introduce youth players at the expense of some of his more established stars, and Townsend believes the disharmony at Stamford Bridge is unprecedented compared to their previous years of success.“Clearly Jose is rattled. There doesn’t seem to be a tremendous amount of harmony at the moment in the squad,” Townsend told the Sports Bar.“One of the greatest strengths he’s always had – I remember speaking to players who weren’t playing under him and they always said he was top class, even those who weren’t getting the game time, they always conceded he was the best.“Now, I’m looking at this group and their relationship with the manager and I don’t see that.“Jose has a problem and the Chelsea players don’t believe in him as much as they used to. That is showing in both the results and the performances.”Despite Chelsea’s abject form, Townsend has backed his former side to turn their campaign around and secure a top four finish.He added: “I still think they can finish top four because I believe he [Mourinho] can still rein them in, but he has to start doing that pretty quickly.”
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREPettersson scores another winner, Canucks beat KingsToday, many people prefer sleeker models known as 180s, which wrap around the back of the neck, addressing a big complaint about the early ear protectors: mussed hair. Others have built-in head phones for MP3 players. Greenwood was known for his inventions. He had more than 100 of them, by some accounts. Maine’s Web site credits him with creating a shock absorber, an improved spark plug, a doughnut hook and a folding bed, among other things. PORTLAND, Maine – The market is flooded with ear-warming devices carrying names such as Ear Grips, EarPops and Ear Mitts. All share a common heritage – the 19th century contraption created by a young inventor from Maine with large, sensitive ears. On Saturday, the town of Farmington was honoring native son Chester Greenwood with extra flourish during a parade in the year that marks the 130th anniversary of the earmuff patent, the 70th anniversary of Greenwood’s death and the 30th anniversary of Chester Greenwood Day. For 89-year-old Sully Greenwood, Chester’s grandson, it’s the one day of the year he wears old-fashioned earmuffs. “Nobody wears them any other time,” he said from his home in Farmington. In 1873, 15-year-old Chester Greenwood grew frustrated by the choice of either wearing a bulky scarf or having cold ears while ice skating. He came up with the idea of ear-shaped loops made from wire, to which his grandmother sewed fur. Greenwood later added an adjustable steel band. He patented his creation and manufactured thousands of “Champion Ear Protectors” in Farmington. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
THE REFEREE has been confirmed for the second replay of the Donegal SFC final.Experienced Aodh Ruadh clubman Seamus McGonagle will take charge of Wednesday night’s clash of Gaoth Dobhair and Naomh Conaill.McGonagle is one of the foremost officials in the county and will be in the middle for the third instalment of the 2019 final. The teams shared a 0-8 apiece stalemate on Sunday-week last.On Sunday, extra time could not throw up a winner as Seaghan Ferry’s last-gasp point means the teams go back to battle on Wednesday night at Sean MacCumhaill Park.Referee confirmed for second replay of Donegal SFC final was last modified: October 29th, 2019 by Chris McNultyShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:2019 Donegal SFCAodh RuadhGaoth DobhairNaomh ConaillSeamus McGonagle